Urban Airship Integration
With the combination of Urban Airship’s leading mobile engagement platform and Bluedot Innovation’s best in class location technology, mobile engagement is taken to the next level. Combine the power of Urban Airship with the precision and scalability of Bluedot’s location services to accelerate growth, drive loyalty engagement and revenue in your app and beyond.
Bluedot’s location marketing platform delivers a solution 20x more accurate, with negligible battery drain, unlimited locations and best in class privacy making it the only option that can deliver location-based 1:1 segmentation no matter how large your audience is.
Connectivity is at the heart of this new chapter for mobile. But it’s more than just the ability to engage. It’s also about connecting to mobile users with discernment and insight. That’s what mobile engagement is about, and it’s exciting what we can now do.
Create your Urban Airship App
Add an App
If you have just registered for an Urban Airship account select the Add your app button. If you have an existing account then either choose the app you wish to use, or select the New app button in the upper right corner of the dashboard to create a new one.
If creating a new app, provide the App Name, Set the Production Status to “Production – connection to live servers.” and select iOS and Android as the App Platforms and select save.
Set up your App
1. Add Apple Push Notification Service (APNs) Certificate in the Quickstart Guide iOS tab. It is located in the end of the screen.
2. Add Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) API key in the Quickstart Guide Android tab. It is located in the end of the screen.
It is vital to set up the APNs certificate for iOS and GCM API Key for Android platforms, to utilize the push based automated messages in Urban Airship engagement platform.
More information on adding and updating your Urban Airship App can be found here.
Create your Bluedot Point Access App
Select the +New App from the App drop-down list on the Dashboard to create a new app.
More information on adding and managing Bluedot Point Access Apps can be found here.
Create a Zone
Point SDK supports the triggering of Automations via Urban Airship Engage when customers enter a pre-defined geographical area (Geofence), crossing a GEOLINE™ or moving into the range of a Beacon (as part of a Zone). The Zone is then disabled for the duration of its adjustable Minimum Retrigger Time. When a Zone is triggered, a check-in callback is sent to the Bluedot SDK and an event is posted to Urban Airship’s Engage platform. The event is used to trigger Automated Messages through the Urban Airship SDK.
Perform the following to create a Zone:
- Select Create New Zone in the Bluedot Dashboard.
- You will be navigated to the map interface where you can configure the locations that are relevant for your app.
- Search for the location where the Zone will be situated using the search bar in the header.
- Select any one of the shapes to add a Geofence or GEOLINE™ or select the Beacon icon to add a Beacon.
- Draw the shape you want on the map.
- Once you have defined the location, select the expand button << to open the sidebar. From there, you can manage the Geofences, GEOLINE™ and Beacon that make up each Zone, as well as set Custom Actions (that trigger Automated Messages in Urban Airship Engage) and Conditions before saving the Zone.
- Select the Set Actions + Conditions at the bottom of the sidebar. This will create a Custom Action which is used to trigger an Automated Message, when a user enters a Zone and any relevant Conditions you have set are satisfied.
More information on the different Conditions available can be viewed here.
More information on edit action link can be viewed here.
Only Custom Actions defined for a Zone will trigger Check-in and Check-out callbacks which are used to interact with the Urban Airship SDK.
8. Click on the Save Zone button. A Zone Settings pop up will appear.
9. Add the Zone Name (For example: AT&T_Park). You may also choose to set the Minimum Retrigger Time, Enable Check-out functionality, or set a Start and End Active Time. Save the Zone when you have finished. You will then be navigated back to the Bluedot Dashboard.
The Zone name, Zone ID or a combination of both can be used as an event to be registered to Urban Airship for triggering an Automation. So provide a descriptive name and possibly adopt a naming convention for the Zone name field.
Create an Automation for a Check-in trigger
To use Bluedot location services and Urban Airship mobile engagement platform you have to use Automated messages which are automatically sent to users when certain conditions are met. Below are the steps to create an Automated message for a check-in trigger of a Bluedot Zone.
- Select the Create button and Select Automation.
- Enter an Automation Name.
- Select Event in the trigger dropdown.
- In the
Eventstext box enter the event names. Later these event names will be used in the BluedotSDK when check-in or check-out is triggerred. For example:
- Select the Content tab then select Push Notification and select the Continue button.
- Enter the message you would like to be delivered when the user walks into the Geofence, crosses a GEOLINE™ or moves into the range of a Beacon, in the Push Notification text box.
- Select the Delivery tab and select the Background Processing option.
- Select the Review & Start tab and select the Start Automation button.
Create an Automation for a Check-out trigger
For check-out enabled Zones, you will have to set up an Automation similar to the check-in event. In Step 5, add another event, e.g.
bluedot_place_exited when a message is sent on user leaves a Geofence or moves out of the range of a Beacon.
You can find additional information on different features we support below:
- Urban Airship Android Integration
- Urban Airship iOS Integration
- GitHub – Bluedot Urban Airship Android example
- GitHub – Bluedot Urban Airship iOS example
- Drawing Geofences or Geolines™
- Setting conditions
- Setting custom data fields
- Zone Settings
- Zone Management
- Adding a Beacon to your account
- Adding a Beacon to your Zone
- You can use our Public APIs to create the Zones (including the Geofences, GEOLINE™, Beacons, Custom Actions and Conditions). Information on the different Public API endpoints can be found here.
- Urban Airship Engage platform documentation.